Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
SHEEP SHEARING SCHOOL AT SHEPHERD’S CROSS
April 13, 14 & 15 (Thursday, Friday & Saturday) 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
• Shearing School is held at Shepherd’s Cross, an authentic working farm, just north of Claremore OK on Scenic Route 66.
• Primary Instructors: Israel Vasek & Dr. Diane Dickinson
• This is an American Sheep Industry Certified class
• Shepherd’s Cross is Animal Welfare Approved
• Israel Vasek is a professional sheep shearer, and shears over 10,000 sheep per year. He learned to shear with his father, and is carrying on the family tradition. Israel is not only a quality shearer, but he is conscientious, and handles the sheep respectfully.
He and his family live in South Dakota. We are honored to have him come to Oklahoma to teach this class.
• Dr. Diane Dickinson, a licensed veterinarian and an agriculturalist, with over 30 years of livestock and farming experience. Her unique perspective of animal husbandry care includes that of a producer, a veterinarian, the small flock & herd, global agriculture, Biblical agriculture, sustainable living, natural production, Agritourism and niche markets.
• What each student will learn:
o How to shear a sheep effectively
o Proper handling of shearing equipment
o Sheep catching and handling
o Skirting and grading a fleece
o Maintenance of equipment and sharpening blades
o Guided Tour of the on-site Wool Mill and of the Educational Farm Museum & Silo
• What each student will be given, to take home:
o An official American Sheep Industry Shearing tutorial handbook and DVD
o Upon completion students will receive a certificate of accomplishment from Shepherd’s Cross and from the American Sheep Industry
• Additional Information
o Each student will have the opportunity to shear a sheep
o Sheep & shears provided for use during the school.
o No outside animals of any kind are permitted on the premises due to USDA regulations.
o Please be prepared to sign a waiver & heed Shepherd’s Cross Rules. http://shepherdscross.com/releaseform.html
o Please bring any shearing tools you have, for consultation & use if desired.
o Minimum of 5 registrants; maximum of 12 registrants.
o Shepherd’s Cross is an Animal Welfare Approved facility. We hold to specific standards of humane animal treatment.
o Please bring a sack lunch. Morning and afternoon snacks provided.
• Total Class Fee: $245.00 ($75 & this form due by April 5 - call in or drop by for credit card or mail a check)
• Registration Form: http://www.shepherdscross.com/files/Shearing_School_Registration_Form_2016.pdf
• Our classes go a step farther than regular classes - we teach some history of fiber arts, and practical technology.
• Shepherd’s Cross and Heart of the Shepherd teaches animal husbandry classes, wool processing classes and veterinary care all around the world.
• Shepherd’s Cross hosts a mini wool mill, processing the wool from their 250 sheep on site.
• Workshops are augmented by hands on learning tools available in the Educational Farm Museum, and with a collection of fiber arts from around the world.
• Shepherd’s Cross is an Animal Welfare Approved sheep farm and processes Animal Welfare Approved fiber (that is chemical free, hormone free, free range, natural)
• Heart of the Shepherd, the non-profit organization (501-C3) that operates at the farm establishes wool mills in remote, impoverished areas around the world.
• Other Fiber Arts Classes are offered on an individual or group basis throughout the year.
• Advanced Classes available upon request.
• Come to the farm and enjoy the peace of a few hours spent in the country.
• The Bible Garden is available for guided or self-guided tours; audio or visual or both.
• Shepherd’s Shop, a quaint country gift shop, is an event in itself - featuring a host of festive fall, handmade and farm related gifts and wares from many gifted artisans; a year round “craft fair”. Gift shop open every week from 8:30 – 5:30 Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
• Shepherd’s Cross is an accredited Agritourism facility, a Made in Oklahoma Company, a member of the Claremore Farmer’s Market, an Animal Welfare Approved sheep farm, a producer for and distribution site for the Oklahoma Food Co-op.
• Website: http://www.shepherdscross.com
• Online Stores: http://www.shepherdscross.biz and http://www.heartoftheshepherd.biz
• Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShepherdsCross/
Shepherd’s Cross & Heart of the Shepherd
16792 East 450 Road, Claremore, OK 74017
Dr. Diane Dickinson, President & Executive Director